8.24.2011

Hard Rain FallingHard Rain Falling by Don Carpenter

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


A masterpiece. That word almost doesn't seem big enough to encapsulate the voices of Jack and Billy, and the believability that this book conveys in nearly ever single sentence. Carpenter's narrative is so engaging that at times I didn't feel like I was even reading a book, but rather sitting across a campfire listening to real men (and boys) talk and recount a time in America that can only be lived by a selective few. The poor yes, but also the hard knock hustlers who desire money the same way others search for love. Hard Rain Falling is gritty and rugged, but also has tremendous beauty and tenderness, and there were things that happened along the way that I could not of foreseen. I loved it like crazy even when it made me cry.



View all my reviews

No comments: