12.09.2011

Under the SkinUnder the Skin by Michel Faber

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


There have only been two other books that have made me this uncomfortable day and night, The Road and The Shinning. Under the Skin is by far the most disturbing of the three and yet by contrast it is also strangely tender.



It's not lost on me that using the word disturbing will definitely turn off a lot of readers. Under the Skin is not for everyone, but it is a highly original piece of literature and in that way it's not to be missed. There are so many great first time novelists, but not many writers would be able to expertly blend the genres of fiction, science fiction and horror. I'm particularly excited because Under the Skin is currently being made into a movie (opens 2012) from the director of Sexy Beast and Birth. I'm thrilled and mystified on how they'll actually be able to pull it off. Things happen in this book that are beyond description. I found even in my own imagination straining to see exactly what Faber was describing. I know it will make for a very challenging translation from the written word to the screen.



Bottom line read it, but the less you know in advance the better.



View all my reviews

No comments: